But you knew that, right?
Elections consume a reporter's life for most of an election year (which is every other year) but they're also the press bread and butter. All the stops are pulled out, no holds are barred. On the night of elections, everyone - even in the sports department - takes part.
My job? My usual MO - tweet and live blog for my paper's website from the election commission office. Probably the easiest thing a reporter could do. Except during the primaries I was live blogging, tweeting AND doing some radio commentary at the same time. I rock.
This year, I hope to have a little revenge.
At work and on the clock, I never express any strong polarizing political views. Not to coworkers, readers, sources. I'm the only one with this rule at work, which is how I know I'm a long libertarian in a sea of liberal or moderate leaning reporters and editors. It's miserable, too, because I never write one editorial piece. But I digress --
On election night in 2008, the newsroom was party central when Obama was clearly winning. So much for neutrality. Democrats were in, Republicans out.
Now...one week before the mid-term elections and it's looking pretty promising for the GOP. Across the nation and in my state.
So here's hoping that when I'm in the newsroom on this election night, they're won't be as much of a celebration as there is hand wringing and fretting. It would be nice to see smirks wiped off and worshiping editorials extinct. NO matter the party - that crap annoys me.
No comments:
Post a Comment